Monday, May 9, 2011

Tulip Time Festival

Sunday, the four of us had an amazing day in downtown Holland for their Tulip Time Festival. I've been wanting to go here for a while now and was so happy that the sun was out so that we could actually enjoy the day. The main reason I wanted to go was so I could see Windmill Island. It was so cute. A little Dutch village, small carousel, conservatory, delicious fudge, and people walking around in wooden shoes!


The best part had to be the windmill. I was so excited to go up and see everything! I didn't know there were so many floors to it though. You could take a tour of the windmill and on each floor they would talk about something new. I think there was six total. I knew it was a working windmill but I didn't know that they actually use it to make flour. It was really interesting to hear about it and how it was brought over here in the 1960's by boat. It originally took 6 years to build it but only 6 months to put it back together in Holland! They actually put roman numerals on some of the boards so it was easier for them.


And of course, the field of tulips was gorgeous as well! There were so many of them : )


These ones were my favorite. Love the mix of purple and light pink : )


Afterward, we headed downtown to see all the cute shops and eat some food. I was so excited when I saw that they had elephant ears! I love those things. It was really busy so we didn't stay long. I definitely want to go back there soon though.

1 comment:

Popcorn, Pugs & Peonies said...

The tulips are so beautiful. And the windmill is amazing. I now want to visit Holland, MI.